At Family & Child Empowerment Services (FACES) SF, we envision a future where all families have what they need to live, grow, and thrive in San Francisco. We provide families with high-quality early childhood education; job support, training, and placement; and comprehensive family support services and referrals. Our mission is to empower families who live and work in San Francisco to transform their futures through evidence-based educational and economic opportunities.
The Family Support Specialist is an integral part of our Student and Family Support Program, serving families of children ages 0 to 5 in our Family Child Care Network (FCCHEN). The Family Support Specialist has an in-depth understanding of the challenges of our families and children and the experience to facilitate a range of community and family support services as needed, including enrollment in our program. We are looking for an individual who can form impactful working relationships with a diverse set of people. Someone enthusiastic about working with families, has a strengths-based non-judgmental approach when working with clients and has a strong understanding of the value and purpose of family childcare.
What you’ll do:
- Help provide or refer trauma-informed crisis management for students and families, as appropriate
- Support the enrollment process and develop children’s transition plans; provide information and resources to families on Kindergarten registration/ transition process
- Work collaboratively with the Program manager to collect the enrollment paperwork and process families eligibility information (50% of duties)
- Provides referrals, advocates, and serves as the liaison for additional family services, such as Support for Families with Special Needs, etc.
- Partner with families in assessing their needs, developing action plans toward goals, making appropriate referrals to community resources and facilitating linkage to services ● Coordinate/facilitate caregiver support groups and workshops, such as child development, stress management, money management, etc. as needed
- Collaborate with FCCHEN team, providers, FACES SF programs and community agencies to support family well-being
- Document all client contacts, action plans and summaries of client progress ● Meet in weekly individual and group supervision meetings with supervisor and team members to discuss client activities and any relevant issues
- Monitor/coordinate monthly family engagement activities, parent workshops and community events
- Monitor/coordinate workshops to address challenges faced by our families and strengthen their knowledge of and access to community resources
- Plan, coordinate and actively participate in and document family engagement activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Social work, Psychology or related field
- Bilingual in English and Mandarin/Cantonese highly preferred
- Minimum of two years of experience in providing child and/or family therapy to complex populations
- Knowledge of trauma informed care practices and the ability to demonstrate and apply them ● Knowledge and understanding of parenting challenges, child development, children and families with special needs, including behavioral and emotional issues
- Experience with facilitating workshops and trainings
- Connection and access to community resources, and skills in developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships with community services providers
- Commitment to working with families from marginalized communities
- Effective and compassionate communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and independently with initiative and enthusiasm ● Ability to handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications and electronic client management systems ● Ability to meet required state, federal, local, and CDC standards (including but not limited to fingerprint clearance, negative TB test, First Aid, CPR)
- COVID-19 vaccinated strongly preferred (weekly testing required for unvaccinated staff) ● Able and willing to travel between our centers as needed
- A deep commitment to aligning all program practices to FACES SF values, especially around equity, inclusion, and belonging for all our stakeholder
- Strong passion for and a desire to humbly reflect, learn, and grow in pursuit of our mission ● A sense of humor- we believe joy and justice go hand in hand!
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Hourly rate from $33 – $36, based on experience and qualifications
- Healthcare premiums 100% paid for employees and 25% paid for dependents
- Three weeks of vacation, ten sick days, ten paid holidays, and a paid one-week winter closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- A retirement plan with an employer match up to 7% of your salary
- A chance to positively impact the lives of children and their families
- Opportunity to join a movement to achieve educational, economic, and racial justice! ● A fun, dynamic and collaborative working environment
To apply: Please send your resume and brief note re: your interest in this role to email@example.com
FACES SF is a welcoming workplace for all. We embrace diversity in every form- race and culture, gender identity, sexuality, country of origin, religion, and/or ability. Candidates with diverse backgrounds and lived experiences are strongly encouraged to apply.
FACES SF is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.